Ackee and salt fish, Jamaica’s national dish, is one of the most delicious dishes ‘pon’ the island.
It is made from our national ackee fruit in conjunction with our local salt fish or codfish. When cooked up the right way with the right spices, “you no want it fi dun.” It is finger licking sweet done to the last bite.
Just in case you want to try it for yourself, here is the recipe…
Details of The Ackee and Salt Fish Recipe…
1 (drained) tin of Jamaican Ackee
1 lb Salt fish (codfish)
4 tbsp cup cooking oil
1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1 tbsp of dried thyme
1 dash of blackpeper
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1. Soak saltfish for about three hours and throw off water.
2. Place in fresh water, bring to boil, and throw off water.
3. Clean – remove bones, scales if any, and skin, and break into small pieces
4. Sautee chop up onion, tomato, and scallion in skillet or frying pan with margarine or cooking oil
5. Add small pieces of thyme and a couple small pieces of scotch bonnet pepper (no seed please…this pepper is very hot so if you don’t like the heat, you can eliminate this step)
6. Stir in saltfish and let it cook for a about a minute
7. Stir in ackee and let the ackee and salt fish combination cook for another few minutes on a low flame.
8. Add a dash of blackpepper if you like. (optional).
11. Serve with fried dumpling, cooked dumpling + other ground products, festival, or as a side dish.
This is an extremely popular dish. It is especially delicious when served over dumplings (boiled or fried), yellow yam, boiled banana, sweet potato, and other ground products. It is even better when you have some “wash”(lemonade) on the side to send it down with ease…Jamaican style
For more recipes…Jamaican style, grab a copy of this Jamaican cookbook recipe here
Have You tried this recipe?
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page…
Saltfish Proper Not rated yet
If yu nuh soak di saltfish fi awhile, yu soon give yourself ‘hole heep of problem like high blood pressure and hypertension. Nuff salt dey pon dem di fish …
Saltfish Not rated yet
Saltfish doesn’t need 3 hours soaking. Simply wash and skin saltfish and remove all bones. Shred the saltfish add to boiling water and boil for 3 mins …