1/2 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
4 gelatin leaves
4 ounces Mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
Prepare the Cashew Brittle…
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat until it dissolves completely and achieves a caramel color.
2. Stir in the nuts and liqueur, then carefully spread out onto a baking sheet lined with a Silpat (or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) to a depth of 1/4 inch.
3. Once cool, tap with the dull edge of a knife to break into bite-sized pieces. Reserve until ready to use.
Prepare the banana cake…
1. In a chilled stainless steel bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks, cover and keep chilled until ready to use.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until well blended.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the sugar and the water to a boil over medium high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until all the sugar has dissolved.
4. Turn the mixer on low. While mixing, slowly add the sugar-water mixture to the eggs, mixing just until combined.
5. In a small saucepan, soften the gelatin by soaking the sheets in enough cold water to cover. Once soft, bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the gelatin. Once dissolved, add to the mixture.
6. Mash the bananas and add to the mixture, mixing until well combined.
7. Stir in the cashew nut brittle by hand, then chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
8. Once chilled, fold in the Mascarpone cheese and the whipped cream.
9. Line individual moulds with plastic wrap and transfer the mixture into the moulds.
10. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours until fully chilled.