2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 dash salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup shortening
4 tbsp Margarine
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 sprig thyme
1 tbs minced garlic1 tbsp minced scotch bonnet pepper (no seeds please – very hot).1 tsp salt
2/3 cup beef broth(homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
Get oven ready
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, curry powder, and pinch of salt.
2. Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball that is very soft and moist but not sticky.
4. If the dough feels sticky, add about 1 tbsp flour and pulse until it is no longer sticky.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, knead briefly, and shape it into a ball.
6. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections.
7. Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick).
8. Set aside.
1. Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Stir in onion, pieces of scotch bonnet pepper, and garlic until soft (onion will be translucent).
3. Stir in ground beef and add a dash of salt.
5. Cook until beef is evenly brown, stirring constantly.
6. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs.
7. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
8. Remove from heat, taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper if necessary.
9. Let cool thoroughly. .
Combining Dough and Filling
1. Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle.
2. Fold over and press edges together, making a half circle.
3. Use a fork to press edges.
4. Place the patty on a lightly buttered cookie sheet, and brush the top of each patty with melted butter.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Relax and enjoy your spicy beefy flavored Jamaican meat patties…