8 ounces small dried red beans or red kidney beans
1 quart of water
1 can coconut milk or 1 pk of coconut milk powder or one coconut
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp of salt
2 1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
1. Rinse and place beans(peas)in a stockpot.
2. Cover the peas with about 2 inches of water and soak for about 4 hours - this will soften to peas so that it can cook faster.
3. If you don't want to wait 4 hours, place the peas and the water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for about 15 minutes. This should soften the peas and give the mixture a nice brown color.
4. Pour the contents into your stockpot.
5. Add coconut milk or coconut milk powder and water to get the water level about 5 inches above the peas. Cover and simmer until the peas is cooked.
Depending on how long it take the peas to be fully cooked, you will need to add water along to way to keep the level up.
When fully cooked, the peas should be nice and soft and the fluid should a nice creamy brown color. 6. Add thyme, scallion, and salt (to taste).
7. Boil for a few more minutes, then add your rice. (Make sure that the fluid level is just about an inch above the rice). 9. Bring rice to a boil on a reasonably high flame.
10. Lower the flame and allow the rice to steam slowly until tender.
11. Serve with stew chicken, curry chicken, oxtail, or any other meat that fits your fancy.