2 lbs salted cod, soaked overnight to get rid of excess salt, skinned, deboned and flaked
2 lbs Irish potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
150 ml Milk
2 Bay leaves
Bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
Couple sprigs of thyme, stripped
Handful of Chives, roughly chopped
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 eggs, beaten
Zest of 4 large limes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil potato chunks in salted water until cooked through, drain off excess water, then mash.
2. In another saucepan, add milk, fish and bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add the fish mixture, mashed potatoes, beaten egg, parsley, chives, thyme, Scotch bonnet, and lime zest, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Cover a surface with some flour.
5. Use a tablespoon and scoop mixture, pat and flatten to a round shape, dip into flour to coat and repeat this step until all the mixture is used up.
6. In a frying pan, add vegetable oil and heat until very hot.
7. Fry fish cakes in batches for about five minutes or until golden brown.
8. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with tartar sauce or chutney and wedges of lime.