what is expected of a rastafarian woman?
Q: I am interested in being a rastafarian,and am a woman, what are my requirements? what should I do or not do as a rasta woman? how should I dress what should I know?
These are the Rastafari rules that applies to women...though not strictly followed today they are still there for she who wishes to be a 'true' rastafarian woman.
- Women are known as Queens.
- The main role of women is to look after their King.
- Women are regarded as subordinate to men.
- Women are regarded as housekeepers and child bearers.
- Women must be faithful to her king. Infidelity is not tolerated.
- Women are not called to Rastafari except through their husbands.
- Women cannot be leaders...men are the spiritual head of the family.
- Women must not cook for their husbands during their menstrual cycle.
- Women must not wear makeup, dress promiscuously, or use chemicals in their hair.
- Women must not use birth control, as it is regarded as a European tactic to suppress the development of the African population.They must also abstain from abortion which is regarded as murder.
- Women must cover their hair when they pray